The Housing Element is a required chapter of the Town’s General Plan. Unlike other elements of the General Plan, the Housing Element is subject to detailed statutory requirements and certification by a State agency – in this case the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD). The Housing Element must be updated every 8 years. Housing sites must be identified to accommodate the Town’s State-mandated regional housing need allocation (RHNA), and policies and programs must be included to encourage the development of housing at all income levels and to affirmatively further fair housing. For this housing element cycle, the Town is required to accommodate 639 new housing units by the end of 2030.
The Housing Element has gone through several drafts and submissions to HCD as follows:
- The first Draft Housing Element was submitted to the California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) on September 26, 2022, for a 90-day review period. The Draft Housing Element reflected changes approved by the Council at their August 3 and August 31, 2022, meetings, including a density reduction from 40-45 units per acre to 30-35 units per acre on housing element sites in the Downtown.
- HCD reviewed the first Draft Housing Element and sent a comment letter to the Town on December 23, 2022.
- The Town Council reviewed proposed edits to the Draft Housing Element and a Response to HCD Comments on January 18 and 25, 2023.
- The revised Draft Housing Element was submitted to HCD on February 16, 2023. HCD sent a comment letter to the Town on April 17, 2023. The Town’s Response to HCD Comments and the revised Draft Housing Element as of May 4, 2023, are available in the sidebar.
- On May 22, 2023, the Town Council adopted the Housing Element. The element was submitted to HCD for certification on May 31, 2023, and revised on July 20 and 27, 2023, in response to verbal comments from HCD.
- On July 28, 2023, the Town received written comments from HCD.
- On August 8, 2023, the Town released additional proposed revisions to the adopted Housing Element.
- On August 23, 2023, the Planning Commission reviewed the proposed revisions and recommended adoption to the Town Council with revisions.
- On September 20, 2023, the Town Council adopted the amended Housing Element.